Thursday, March 22, 2012

Classics studies



The good old classics.
A lot of the old b&w movies had some really good compositions using light and frames to lead the eye. Citizen Cane is one of the best examples for this.

So I will make a series about the old classics, starting with some portraits.
Audrey Hepburn (what a beauty she was) and Bela Lugosi.
Her sketch was way more difficult to do as there is nothing on her face, no wrinkles, no hard shadows, while Lugosi went really smooth. I really like this piece as it combines a lot of hard/ soft edges, the side light blends his right bodyside in almost complete black, while only some really small grey edges indicate his conture there. And of course the focus on his eyes with the light spot. And of course, Boris Karlov.




A first try. I used some reference photos, but in in the end I was still very confused on how the light falls and why it still looks strange. I guess it is an inconsistant light situation + a value or edge problem. I cant really point my finger down on what exactly it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment