Saturday, July 21, 2012

Brown Paper !

Hi everyone,
sorry for the growing delay between my last posts.  Some illustration jobs and a part time job are taking its time.

Recently I drove to my local art supply store and finally bought a big block of brown paper together with some additional white pencils. And I am really digging this sketching method, I saw it before used by different artists like Justin Gerard or Donato Giancola.
Its so great because you start with a middletone and can go to dark or white easily, compared to a regular white paper.

Over the last weeks I started to move away some more from the attempt to paint realistic. The deformed stile - sometimes more comic like, sometimes more fantasy- seems to go way easier with my personal stile.

 So here are some recent sketching sessions in a caffee.


 Some funny sketches - I thought about making T-shirt prints of some of those. ^^


And some fantasy pieces. A dwarf in a snowy hillside


And some layout sketches for a personal piece: Eowyn and the Nazgul (Lord of the rings). The 3 in the upper right corner are quick studies of other versions of this book sequence. Personally I think I would go with the 1st piece, though #3 in the lower left corner looks neat too. The way every pointy thing is directed against Eowyn....

This last piece is for my portfolio. Its a Dungeons and dragongs related character. A city guard/ soldier. There were a couple of example pictures for the culture he lives in. A mix between russian, inuit, native indian and some asian elements. A lot of fur/ leather in the clothing and axes as the only visualized weapon.

2 comments:

  1. Some great work! When you do fantasy, your style really shines. Like on the Dwarf and Guard images. Although ... I would buy a Kampftaucher or Kaeuzli T-Shirt in an instant. Pure classic!

    In regards to the Nazgul & Eowyn ... the first one looks really nice. The Witch King & steed may use up most of the space, but think the viewer will associate with her much more. Good opportunity to show the fear & courage on her face. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Nicolay, your fantasy work looks really good. And your designs are very nice!

    ReplyDelete